Although a large portion of Earth is covered by water, we don’t have an infinite amount of water to use each day. Conserving water is important, both for the planet and for our wallets.
The average American doesn’t think twice about how much water they use in a given day, but with a little bit of attention, we could all conserve a lot more water and lower our utility bills in the process.
Here are some great tips for how you can reduce your water usage through daily habits and plumbing services:
- Be mindful of the tap: One of the easiest ways to cut down on the amount of water you use every day is to be careful of how long you let water flow from the tap. Start taking shorter showers, turn off the tap while you brush your teeth and refrigerate tap water instead of letting the faucet run cold. All of these little actions can add up to save thousands of gallons every year.
- Install water-efficient appliances: Older plumbing appliances and fixtures were not designed with efficiency in mind and tend to use a lot more water than necessary. When it comes time to upgrade, shop around for water- and energy-efficient fixtures like low-flow toilets and efficient dishwashers and washing machines.
- Identify and fix leaks: Did you know that minor faucet drips and leaking pipes can amount to hundreds of gallons of wasted water every year? If your home plumbing fixtures have a small leak, investigate it yourself or call plumbing services to have it inspected and fixed. These small fixes can have big impacts on water consumption!
- Run full loads of laundry: If you’re tempted to do a load of laundry with only a few items, don’t! Wait until you can run a full load so you aren’t wasting water by running extra cycles needlessly.
- Collect rainwater for the garden: Rainwater can easily be collected in cisterns and barrels and put to good use, instead of letting it run into storm drains on the street. Collect barrels in your backyard and use them to fill up water cans to water your garden.
- Sprinkle smart: If you have a sprinkler system, have it automated so it runs for a set amount of time each day. Automation helps prevent situations where sprinklers run for hours because they are forgotten about and not turned off. Additionally, water your lawn during the cooler hours of the day to prevent evaporation and use mulch to trap moisture in the ground.
For more help identifying the ways in which you can reduce your water usage, call Rooter Express! Our plumbing services have been serving home and business owners for over 20 years. Call us for advice or for assistance in your plumbing needs. We do everything from plumbing repairs and installation to water heater repairs and replacements to drain cleaning and more! We’re also available 24 hours a day for emergency services. Call us today for a free home inspection and estimate!
Categorised in: Saving Water